How to help a friend dealing with family abuse or neglect
Do you think a friend is experiencing abuse or neglect?
Maybe you sense that things aren’t right in your friend’s family. Maybe you witnessed something while you were at your friend’s house. Or maybe your friend told you about the abuse or neglect.
Even if your friend has sworn you to secrecy, it’s important to get a safe adult involved if someone you know is being abused or neglected. You can’t stop what’s happening to your friend by yourself.
What can I do?
- • Be there: being there for your friend is one of the best things that you can do during this tough time.
- • Listen: let your friend talk about what’s going on and be a good listener. Try not to tell them what they need to do, other than to get help.
- • Be supportive: encourage your friend to get support from a guidance counsellor or someone else who can help. Offer to go with your friend if they’re worried about telling an adult about the situation. You can also be there when your friend calls child protection services or the police.
- • Reach out: reach out to your friend if you think something’s wrong but they haven’t told you anything. You could ask about a specific incident and try saying something like, “She really grabbed you hard back there. Are you OK?” You could ask how things are going at home. You could say, “I’ve noticed that you seem down, and I’m worried about you. Is there anything that you want to talk about?”
- • Believe: believe that your friend is telling the truth.
- • Check in: call your friend to see how they’re doing. Understand that they may not always want to talk about it. Do things that will take your friend’s mind off of their problems for a while. Activities like taking a walk or seeing a movie can help a lot.
- • Take care of yourself: supporting a friend is hard work, so be sure to look after yourself. You may want to talk to someone, such as a guidance counsellor or other safe adult.
"Is what my parents, especially my dad , say and do, considered…
"My brother is being really violent towards me and our mom."
"Is there something wrong with me?"
"I really dislike my parents, and I wish they weren't mine…
"I hate my family."
"Honestly, I'm just exhausted, i want all of this to end.…
"At one point it drove me to have thoughts of self harm and…
"I'm 16 and I left home due to emotional and mental abuse.…