Tips and tools for a young person coping with loss
How can you support youth in your life who are dealing with grief?
Dealing with grief and loss in a healthy way is important to maintaining good mental health. Here are a few ways you can help the youth in your life work through their grief.
There are many ways you can help the young people in your life cope with grief and loss in a healthy way.
Here are few tips you can share with the youth close to you, to help them work through their emotions:
- Memory box: gather up ticket stubs, photos, and other mementos
- Collage: collect favourite photos on a poster board or online album
- Healing circle: rooted in Indigenous traditions, consider gathering a group of people to share favourite memories
- Journaling: write to explore feelings of loss
- Quiet reflection: spend time in nature, meditate or pray
- Funeral: attend the celebration of life to hear and share memories
- Self-care: eat well, sleep, exercise and spend time with friends
And of course, you can let them know that they can always reach out to the professional counsellors at Kids Help Phone who will help them find strength and resiliency to cope with their grief.