Since 1989, Kids Help Phone has provided life-changing help and hope to young people in Canada. In 1993, we opened our regional office in British Columbia to raise awareness among youth and engage the community to donate, fundraise and partner in our mission. Kids Help Phone is always open in any moment of crisis or need. We are a charity delivering anonymous and confidential counselling, information and referrals to young people 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in English and French. Often, we are the only source of support available after hours and around the clock in rural and remote communities across the province.
Help us be an ally to young people in need! How you can help:
- As a charity, Kids Help Phone relies on donations to ensure we can remain always open — donate today!
- Sponsor an event. Please contact us for more information on these opportunities.
- Fundraise for Kids Help Phone — host an event, get your employer involved, take action.
- Volunteer with us — we rely on the gift of time from our volunteers to support our community-based awareness and fundraising programs.
- Create a Kids Help Phone School Club.
For more information about how to get involved or to make a donation, please contact your Regional Team:
- Harry Wierenga, Director (778) 379-5437 ext. 8291
- Leslie Mauro, Manager (778) 379-5437 ext. 8293
- Kirstie Rousell, Coordinator (778) 379-5437 ext. 8292
Regional office location:
Kids Help Phone
Suite 570, 789 West Pender Street
Vancouver, BC V6C 1H2
Our counsellors are the most available, accessible direct support, without intermediaries, that a young person can find. By phone or online, we are also a seamless resource — offering a bridge for young people to community supports and services where available. We are able to link them directly to local supports through Canada’s most comprehensive resource database of youth-facing programs.
In 2017, in British Columbia:
- 7.8% of all calls to Kids Help Phone came from British Columbia
- 8% of all chat counselling sessions came from British Columbia
- youth from British Columbia visited the Kids Help Phone website 46,755 times
- mental/emotional health was the most frequently discussed issue by youth in British Columbia with Kids Help Phone counsellors
Crisis Text Line powered by Kids Help Phone is now available in British Columbia 24/7!
2018 has been a pivotal year for Kids Help Phone, partly because of the launch of our texting service trial in Manitoba. Crisis Text Line powered by Kids Help Phone is now available across Canada. Young people can text with a volunteer Crisis Responder for support with any issue — big or small. The service is free, confidential and available 24/7/365.
The national rollout of our texting service means more young people in Canada will have access to support in the way they need it most. Crisis Text Line powered by Kids Help Phone expands the range of services we provide to youth who are looking for support.
Whether the preference is for support over the phone, through Live Chat or via text, young people across Canada now have more support options available to them at any time of day, in English and French.
Learn more about Crisis Text Line powered by Kids Help Phone.
If you’d like to help spread the word about our service, check out these resources.
Kids Help Phone’s Homes for the Holidays
Continuing to feature homes on the West side of Vancouver, we are very excited to announce that this year the 14th annual Homes for the Holidays will launch the 2018 tour into West Vancouver, highlighting two very stunning new homes.
The Tour includes six beautiful homes, ranging from contemporary to traditional to modern, and will have your festive impulse buzzing when you see what our designers have come up with to help make your holiday season memorable.
Local homeowners, designers, retail stores and countless volunteers generously give their time and talent to make this event a huge success. We would like to thank each and every one of them for their support.
We invite you to come explore the endless décor possibilities for your holiday decorating while supporting kids in our community.
For more information, visit the Homes for the Holiday’s event page!
Walk so Kids Can Talk
What an incredible day it was at the Walk so Kids Can Talk presented by BMO. Thank you for joining our national day of community action and for celebrating Mental Health Week with us!
To see local event photos visit our Walk event page.
School Community Mental Health Conference 2018, Richmond
Booster Juice (Harbour Centre) Community Day, Vancouver
Corporate fundraiser, Vancouver
We would like to recognize and thank all of our donors and volunteers for their support of youth mental health in British Columbia and the Yukon. With your help, Kids Help Phone is able to reach youth throughout the region and our professional counsellors can be there for them when they need it, where they need it most.
Special thanks to our 2018 Courage and Inspiration Award Winners:
- Miss. Darla Deter, Axis Family Resources – BC, Kelowna
- Mr. Kregg Brandner, Kal Tire – BC, Kelowna
- Mr. Rodney Hicks, Ocean Concrete – BC, Surrey
- Mr. Peter Hrdlitschka, Ledcor Group of Companies – BC, Vancouver
- Mr. Brent Bickerton, BMO Financial Group – BC, Victoria
- Mr.Brian Bate, BMO Financial Group – BC, Virtual
- Ms Tracy Knight – BC, Vernon