Newfoundland and Labrador
Since 1989, Kids Help Phone has provided life-changing help and hope to young people in Canada. In 1992, we opened our first of two offices in Atlantic Canada to raise awareness among youth and engage the community to donate, fundraise and partner in our mission. Kids Help Phone is always open in any moment of crisis or need. We are a charity delivering anonymous and confidential counselling, information and referrals to young people 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in English and French. Often, we are the only source of support available after hours and around the clock in rural and remote communities across the province.
Help us be an ally to young people in need! How you can help:
- Donate: As a charity, Kids Help Phone relies on donations to ensure we can remain always open — donate today!
- Sponsor an event: please contact us for more information on these opportunities.
- Fundraise for Kids Help Phone: host an event, get your employer involved, take action.
- Volunteer with us: we rely on the gift of time from our volunteers to support our community-based awareness and fundraising programs.
For more information about how to get involved or to make a donation, please contact your regional staff member Emily Cardwell.
Kids Help Phone, Newfoundland and Labrador
P.O. Box 26062
St. John’s, NL A1E 0A5
Kids Help Phone, Nova Scotia
301-1600 Bedford Hwy
Bedford, NS B4A 1E8
Our counsellors are the most available, accessible direct support, without intermediaries, that a young person can find. By phone or online, we are also a seamless resource — offering a bridge for young people to community supports and services where available. We are able to link them directly to local supports through Canada’s most comprehensive resource database of youth-facing programs.
In 2017 in Newfoundland and Labrador:
- In 2017 the most frequently discussed issue among NL youth with our counsellors were suicide and suicide related topics. Followed by: Depression, Anxiety, Self-Harm and Dating.
- 72% of counselling sessions were done via Live Chat; Newfoundland and Labrador has the highest rate of Live Chat counselling of all provinces.
- 45% of youth from Newfoundland and Labrador identify as being repeat service users.
- 37% of all Newfoundland and Labrador contacts were identified as coming from a rural area; more than 3x the national rate for rural populations.
- Youth from Newfoundland and Labrador had the highest proportion of Trans/Genderqueer services users at 6.7% of all counselling sessions-also approximately 2-3 times more than the national average.
- Our counsellors can connect young people to local services and resources such as shelters, health clinics, LGBTQ services and counselling centres all across the province.
Crisis Text Line powered by Kids Help Phone is now available in Newfoundland and Labrador 24/7!
2018 has been a pivotal year for Kids Help Phone, partly because of the launch of our texting service trial in Manitoba. Crisis Text Line powered by Kids Help Phone is now available across Canada. Young people can text with a volunteer Crisis Responder for support with any issue — big or small. The service is free, confidential and available 24/7/365.
The national rollout of our texting service means more young people in Canada will have access to support in the way they need it most. Crisis Text Line powered by Kids Help Phone expands the range of services we provide to youth who are looking for support.
Whether the preference is for support over the phone, through Live Chat or via text, young people across Canada now have more support options available to them at any time of day, in English and French.
Learn more about Crisis Text Line powered by Kids Help Phone.
If you’d like to help spread the word about our service, check out these resources.
Girls on the Green, St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador
On August 22, women from across Newfoundland and Labrador will come together for the 5th Annual Girls on the Green Ladies Charity Golf Tournament, presented by Browning Harvey Limited and in support of Kids Help Phone. Girls on the Green has become one of the most talked about ladies golf events as we welcome all levels of golfers to our fun-filled event that continues to support child and youth mental health and well-being in our province. For more information about this event, visit the event page or call 1-709-685-0629.
Walk so Kids Can Talk
What an incredible day it was at the Walk so Kids Can Talk presented by BMO. Thank you for joining our national day of community action and for celebrating Mental Health Week with us!
To see local event photos visit our Walk event page.
Join us at one of our community walk sites: St. John’s, Corner Brook, Stephenville and Rocky Harbour. If you are interested in starting a walk in your community or registering as a virtual walker please contact us.
Thank you to our friends at Sandbox Gaming for their continued support of Kids Help Phone through their annual charitable fund where they continue to raise funds in support of local children’s charities. To find out more about the number of events Sandbox Gaming hosts throughout the year including their gaming marathons and gaming expo visit them at: https://www.sandboxgaming.org/
The Connie Carver Award
The Connie Carver Award was established by the Carver family in memory of a beloved daughter and sister, and has been presented every year since 1975 to both a male and female student in Grade 7 who best exemplify the qualities Connie had while attending MDJH. Included in those qualities are:
- cooperation with teachers
- school spirit
- kindness towards fellow students
Each student receiving an award will be given $1,500, with $750 to be retained by them. The other $750 from each student will go to the Newfoundland and Labrador Chapter of Kids Help Phone.
- Thank you to Investors Group, St. John’s, NL, for your support of Kids Help Phone! Investors Group partnered with Kids Help Phone during their annual Down Home Expo booth helping us to spread awareness and raising funds in support of services. (L-R Thomas Arklie-Financial Consultant, Craig McDonald-Regional Director, David Fleming-Financial Consultant, Emily Cardwell-Kids Help Phone. Not pictured: David Cooze-Financial Consultant )
- Congratulations to Mackenzie Lambert and Regan Reynolds two of our volunteers dedicated to raising awareness of Kids Help Phone in Newfoundland and Labrador and the recipients of our regional Youth Volunteer of the Year Award for 2017.
- Thank you to the staff of Walmart Canada throughout stores in Newfoundland and Labrador for choosing to support Kids Help Phone’s Live Chat Service in the province through their annual grants. (Pictured above: Cheque presentation from Kelsey Drive and Stephenville stores).
- We are so appreciative for the incredible support of the staff at BMO – Bank of Montreal locations across the province and country. This year we were thrilled to be able to nominate the Newfoundland and Labrador branches for the Association for Fundraising Professionals Philanthropy Awards where they were selected as a finalist for the Corporate Philanthropist of the Year – 2017 . (Pictured L-R Emily Cardwell-Kids Help Phone, James Moores-VP Commerical Banking BMO, Rebecca Dutton-AFP NL, Terry King-Commercial Account Manager BMO).
- TJX and Marshalls have a long standing partnership with Kids Help Phone and support our regional offices with a donation during the opening of their new stores. We were excited to be able to attend the St. John’s, NL store opening and show our thanks for their support. (Pictured L-R Emily Cardwell-Kids Help Phone, Dan Lasby-Store Manager)
- Kids Help Phone had a great time attending the St. John’s, NL, annual pride celebrations and handing out materials to the attendees. (Pictured L-R: Emily Cardwell-Kids Help Phone, Stephen Hooper-Social Media Influencer and Kids Help Phone Ambassador).
- Thank you to Mochanopoly for supporting Kids Help Phone during their 2016 Holiday Event where all proceeds were donated in support of our professional counselling services (Pictured L-R: Leon Chung co-owner Mochanopoly, Emily Cardwell-Kids Help Phone).