The impact Kids Help Phone has on the lives of young people starts with a team — a team that begins with you!
For almost three decades, young people have been reaching out to Kids Help Phone for the support they need. Together with our donors, we stand as an ally and trusted service for all young people in Canada.
In 2017, our national counselling service was the busiest it has been in five years.
Thanks to our donors and supporters:
- our professional counsellors provided 163 counselling sessions per day. Following these sessions:
- 95% of kids said they’d reach out again
- 85% of kids felt less distressed after talking to a counsellor
- 78% of kids experienced significant reduction in distress
- we can be there for the thousands of young people who seek online support from Kids Help Phone’s website each day.
- Our trusted, accessible, research-based website received approximately 1 million visits.
- we are able to be there for young people, who reached out to us more than 194,000 times last year (or 530 times per day).
- our Resources Around Me online database has over 16,260 relevant community mental health resources available for young people, so that they can find the support they need — when, how and where they need it most.
The coming year is all about courage as we collaborate with our partners and the community to deliver our services efficiently, while adapting to the changing needs of young people. With your support, we launched the first, 24/7, nationwide texting support service for young people in Canada! For kids who can’t or won’t call, Crisis Text Line powered by Kids Help Phone could be the lifeline they need.
As young people prefer communicating online, they are in greater need of expert support that is easy to access. Last year, young people reached out to us for counselling, information and referrals over 194,000 times. Almost half of those contacts came from our Live Chat service, which is only available five nights a week, for a total of 40 hours. Making this service available around the clock will take the courage of our donors to rise to the challenge of supporting youth — when, how and where they need it most.
You can learn more about how donors and volunteers are making a difference for youth in our 2017 Impact Report. Thank you for your support!
For more information about Kids Help Phone, our services and our volunteer opportunities — or to make a donation — please contact us.