Media statement Re: Humbolt Broncos Tragedy
- Our hearts are with everyone impacted by the Humboldt Broncos tragedy and we share our deepest condolences to the families and communities involved.
- We know that all of those impacted by this tragedy may be in need of support and wanted to encourage you, as a critical voice during this time, to share the following message with your community/audience when needed:
- Kids Help Phone encourages young people who are affected by the tragedy to seek support. Counsellors are available 24/7 at 1-800-668-6868. People can also text SUPPORT to 686868 to reach a trained volunteer responder through Crisis Text Line powered by Kids Help Phone.
Additional Key Messages:
- Kids Help Phone is always there for young people, especially in unprecedented situations such as this. This tragedy will cause tremendous emotional anguish, confusion and grief, not just for those with loved ones who have died or were injured in the crash but for young people who went to school with team members, came from the same community, or have never experienced a tragedy before. All of them will be impacted and will need someone to turn to.
- Kids Help Phone counsellors are professionally trained and can help young people work through their grief and confusion.
- For many, the necessary resources are not available in their community. That’s why it is important that young people know that they can turn to Kids Help Phone, 24/7.
- Kids Help Phone has just introduced a crisis text service – Crisis Text Line Powered by Kids Help Phone. It is undergoing a 6-month service trial in Manitoba but we are opening up the service to young people in Saskatchewan as a result of this tragedy. We want young people to have access to the help they need in the manner they most prefer.
About Kids Help Phone:
Kids Help Phone is Canada’s only 24/7 national service offering professional counselling, information, referrals and volunteer-led text-based support (available nationwide by the end of 2018) for young people. Kids Help Phone’s free, anonymous services are available in both English and French. Kids Help Phone is a registered Canadian charity, and we raise the majority of our revenue from individuals, foundations, corporations, and community fundraising.
Strategic Communications Consultant
You can save and change the lives of young people
Thanks to our growing community, Kids Help Phone offers free, 24/7 e-mental health services to young people in Canada. Your generosity helps ensure that someone is always there when support is needed for any issue, big or small.