Need help now? You can reach a professional counsellor at Kids Help Phone 24/7 by calling 1-800-668-6868.
What happens when you call
First, you’ll hear a message that goes, “Hi! Welcome to Kids Help Phone.” You will then be asked to choose for service in either English or French.
Next comes a message about prank calls. Some young people are just curious about what will happen if they call. Try to remember that our counsellors are here to help, but we need to keep the lines free for youth who need us.
Once you get through, a counsellor will ask how they can help you. Don’t sweat it if you don’t know what to say. The counsellor will ask you a couple of questions to get the conversation going.
I don’t have a phone. Can I still call?
Yes! You can use other technology to call a Kids Help Phone counsellor 24/7.
To call Kids Help Phone without a phone, you’ll need:
- a computer
- speakers/headphones and a microphone OR a headset
- a reliable Internet connection
- a quiet, private place within Canada to have a conversation
- remember, if you use a headset, others around you won’t be able to hear the counsellor, but they may be able to hear you
- access to a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) service you trust
- if you don’t already have a VoIP service installed, a few examples that’ll allow you to call our counsellors from a computer are Skype and Google Voice via Google Hangouts, but you can do an online search to see what other VoIP services are out there that may meet your needs
- once you’ve found the VoIP service that works best for you, follow the instructions to sign up and install
Ready to call? Click on our phone number (1-800-668-6868) to launch the VoIP service on your computer!
Please note that Kids Help Phone doesn’t endorse, recommend or provide support for VoIP services.