Applying to the Indigenous Advisory Council
Kids Help Phone’s Indigenous Advisory Council (IAC) provides essential leadership to our Indigenous Initiatives and informs everything we do at Kids Help Phone. The IAC is composed of 12 members, half of whom are youth, who contribute diverse Indigenous perspectives and experience to the Council. You can learn more about the role of the IAC and view a current list of IAC members for additional information.
In order to qualify for the IAC, individuals must:
- identify as Indigenous (from North America);
- be 16 years of age or older; and
- be a current Kids Help Phone volunteer (e.g. a crisis responder, Indigenous Engagement Program Champion or Ambassador, National Youth Council (NYC) member, member of our Board of Directors, Kids Help Phone Influencer, etc.; Kids Help Phone employees are NOT eligible to become members of the IAC).
- Members are asked to commit to a one-year term with options for continuing for two additional one-year terms.
- Members must attend at least three of four meetings per term in order to be eligible for an additional term. Travel and accommodation costs are covered by Kids Help Phone (receipts required) and a modest honorarium is provided for meetings attended.
- New member orientation and meeting dates for the 2020-2021 term are as follows in Eastern time:
- Tuesday, October 13, 2020, 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. — teleconference (new member orientation)
- Wednesday, October 14, 2020, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. — teleconference
- Wednesday, January 20, 2021, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. — in person (Toronto)
- Wednesday, April 21, 2021, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. — in person (Toronto)
- Summer 2021, two hours — tentatively in person (date and location to be determined)
*in-person meetings may be switched to teleconferences based on health and safety guidelines during the COVID-19 pandemic
Please complete the application form below by 11:59 p.m. ET on August 30, 2020. The IAC will anonymously select members from a list of recommendations brought forward by the Manager of Indigenous Initiatives. Selected applicants will be notified by September 21, 2020 and the one-year term will begin on October 13, 2020.
Members are selected to maximize diverse perspectives in terms of Indigenous nation, location, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, knowledge and experience. So if you’re not selected this year, please apply again next year as our needs change from year to year!