How to identify a safe adult
Do you need someone to talk to? A safe adult is someone who is accountable, respects your boundaries and doesn’t ask you to keep secrets from others. Speaking to a safe adult can help you feel listened to and decide on next steps.
There are many ways to identify a safe adult in your life. A safe adult is:
- Thoughtful: the person actively listens to you and believes you when you tell them something.
- Trustworthy: the person is dependable, a confidant and someone you feel comfortable talking to.
- Respectful: the person is mindful and considerate of your feelings — and your boundaries.
- Helpful: the person provides guidance and helps you find solutions to problems.
- Caring: the person does what’s best for you, puts you first and cares about your mental and emotional well-being and physical safety.
Who is a safe adult in your life? A safe adult in your life may be a relative, friend, teacher, guidance counsellor or anyone else you feel comfortable with and can trust.
If you need a safe adult to talk to, you can always call a Kids Help Phone counsellor at 1-800-668-6868.
Healthy relationships vs. unhealthy relationshipsTotal views 197692 times
30 inspirational quotes to lift you upTotal views 156276 times
What is sexual assault?Total views 113464 times
Age gap: Things to know about dating someone olderTotal views 110278 times
Arguing with a friend? Here’s how to fight fair.Total views 102929 times
LGBTQ2S+: What does it mean?Total views 93571 times
Letters of support from kids like you during COVID-19Total views 83093 times
Family abuse: What it is and how to identify itTotal views 81536 times