Get virtual support with Facebook Messenger
Did you know you can use Facebook Messenger to access Kids Help Phone’s free, 24/7 e-mental health support? You can get confidential support across Canada from our trained, volunteer crisis responders using the Facebook website or the Messenger app!
Loneliness. School. Sex. Sometimes, we may want help with something on our mind, but we’re not sure how to get started. And if we’re dealing with an issue we find hard to talk about, like a crisis, it can be tough to say it out loud.
By contacting us through Messenger, you can get support from a crisis responder any time, about anything, via the Messenger app or Facebook website.
To contact us using Messenger, you:
- need to have access to the Messenger app or Facebook website
- must agree to Facebook’s terms of service in your province/territory, including reaching their age requirement
- need to have Messenger installed, in order to access this service from a mobile device
All messages are answered by Kids Help Phone’s crisis responders who will listen to you and help you move from a hot moment to a cool calm. Crisis responders are trained, dedicated volunteers from across Canada who are passionate about helping people. Crisis responders are supervised by professional Kids Help Phone staff.
Please note crisis responders are not professional counsellors. If you’d like to talk with a counsellor, you can still call Kids Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868.
Follow these steps to reach one of our crisis responders via Messenger!
- You send us a message using the Messenger app or Facebook website.
- You receive some messages about your privacy.
- A crisis responder receives your message and lets you know they’re here to listen.
- The crisis responder will help you move from a hot moment to a cool moment.
- You can end the conversation at any time by sending in the word STOP. (This means that we won’t send you any more messages unless you message us again.)
In addition to Facebook’s terms of service, Kids Help Phone is committed to ensuring and protecting your privacy. We only store information that helps us understand and improve our service, but we’ll never reveal identifying information about you.
If you’d like to erase any information you shared with Kids Help Phone, you can respond with the word LOOFAH and all of your conversation data will be deleted automatically.
Facebook doesn’t use Messenger data in their advertising systems, but they do have your conversation data when you use the app or website.