Kids Help Phone’s ultimate back-to-school guide
Heading back to school after summer vacation? Here’s how to get ready for class.
Whether you love, hate or are indifferent about going back to school, it’s something every student has to prepare for. Here are a few ways to make the transition from summer vacation to a new school year easier:
- Keep in touch: over the summer, try to stay in touch with your friends to maintain your relationships. This way, things may seem a little more familiar when you go back to school.
- Prepare early: write a list and prepare your back-to-school essentials at the start of the summer instead of the end to avoid the rush.
- Refresh your memory: try to practice the things you learned last year while you’re on summer vacation. Reading, writing and applying your math skills can be fun and rewarding.
- Sleep smart: in the weeks leading up to your first day, try going to bed earlier each night — and getting up earlier each morning — to help your body adjust to a new schedule.
- Visit your school: many schools are open the week before school starts. You can always contact your school, book an appointment, tour the halls and meet your teachers if you need to.
- Know the route: no matter what method of transportation you use to get to school, it’s a good idea to test out the route so you know exactly how to get to class and how long it will take.
- Prep your meals: if you bring a lunch to school, consider taking some time to pack it the night before instead of in the morning.
- Organize your closet: figure out what you’re going to wear on the first day in advance so you’re not stressed about finding something to put on when you wake up in the morning.
- Pack your bags: if you’re taking a backpack to school, fill it with whatever school supplies you have (pens, pencils, notebook, agenda, etc.) well before your first day so you’re ready to get up and go.
- Stay busy: make the most of summer to keep your mind off the back-to-school blues. For example, you could try taking up a new sport or hobby.
- Get support: it’s common to feel nervous about the first day of school. If you need to talk, you can always call a Kids Help Phone counsellor at 1-800-668-6868.
Going back to school after summer vacation can be hard, but there are things you can do to make the transition easier.
More info on school:
- High school 101: How to prep for big changes
- Make the grade: Improve study habits with these A+ tips
- Test prep: Study tips you need for your next exam
- Finishing high school: What to do after graduation
- What to expect from post-secondary school life
- Kids Help Phone’s ultimate back-to-school guide
- Inexpensive back-to-school shopping tips
- Homework help: How to get support
- Post-secondary school: How to stay focused