Tips for staying safe online
There are ways that you can protect yourself when you go online. Here are some tips:
- Keep your passwords private, even from your friends. If something unsafe happens, or if you think your password might be in someone else’s hands, change it.
- When you’re asked for personal information, like a credit card number, look at the bottom right corner of the screen for a little padlock symbol. This means the connection is secure and no one else can see what you’re doing.
- Don’t make it easy for strangers to track you down. Keep your personal information to yourself. Personal information includes your name, the names of friends or family, your address, phone numbers and the name of your school.
- Don’t forward cruel messages to others, or participate in online polls for rating people’s appearance.
- Don’t accept friend invites from strangers.
- Trust your gut. If you don’t recognize the name of a sender, don’t open or answer the message.