Tips for staying safe online
There are ways that you can protect yourself when you go online. Here are some tips:
- ´ Keep your passwords private, even from your friends. If something unsafe happens, or if you think your password might be in someone elseÍs hands, change it.
- ´ When youÍre asked for personal information, like a credit card number, look at the bottom right corner of the screen for a little padlock symbol. This means the connection is secure and no one else can see what youÍre doing.
- ´ DonÍt make it easy for strangers to track you down. Keep your personal information to yourself. Personal information includes your name, the names of friends or family, your address, phone numbers and the name of your school.
- ´ DonÍt forward cruel messages to others, or participate in online polls for rating peopleÍs appearance.
- ´ DonÍt accept friend invites from strangers.
- ´ Trust your gut. If you donÍt recognize the name of a sender, donÍt open or answer the message.