Far and away: The pros and cons of long-distance dating
Long-distance dating has unique challenges, but that doesn’t mean it can’t work.
If you and your partner live in different places, it can be more challenging to spend time together and feel close to each other. If you both want it to work, you can find ways to bridge the distance.
The ups and downs
Although long-distance relationships aren’t for everyone, there are some positive things to consider:
- When you visit each other, the time you spend together can be extra special.
- You have plenty of time to do your own activities and still have a relationship.
- It’s easy to keep in touch with the help of technology (calling, texting, emails, video chat, social media, etc.).
Keep in mind there are negative things to consider about long-distance relationships, too:
- You could miss each other a lot.
- Not everyone communicates well through technology.
- You may not always know how the other person is feeling. Most couples learn to read each other through facial expressions and other non-verbal cues. With only words to go on, you may misinterpret messages or get confused.
- Couples who weren’t always long distance may find the change really difficult, and in some cases, it can lead to you growing apart.
Making it work
Here’s how you can help a long-distance relationship work:
- Know what you want: talk with your partner about how often you want to talk, write and visit. If you want to date other people, let your partner know.
- Communicate: be in touch with each other often. Plan when you’ll talk next so that you feel like you’re a part of each other’s lives.
- Enjoy other things: see your friends, take part in activities and pursue your interests instead of waiting for messages from your partner.
More info on dating:
- What is love? Welcome to the world of dating.
- Healthy relationships vs. unhealthy relationships
- Far and away: The pros and cons of long-distance dating
- Age gap: Things to know about dating someone older
- Dating, family and discrimination
- Breaking up and living the single life
- Hooking up and friends with benefits
- Online dating: Safety tips
- Quiz: Am I in a healthy relationship?
- How to tell if your relationship behaviour is harmful