Feeling low? Boost your self-esteem with these tips.
Self-esteem is the way a person feels about themselves and how much they value or appreciate their own worth.
Someone with a healthy self-esteem can feel good about themselves and take pride in what they do, their skills and their accomplishments.
Self-esteem is the result of comparing who you want to be and who you are. When you feel good about yourself, you’re more likely to:
- pursue and attain your goals
- believe that you are capable of learning something new such as a sport or skill
- try new things
- become more approachable
Will my self-esteem change?
Everyone’s sense of self will grow and change — especially when you’re trying to figure out who you want to be or how you fit in. Your self-esteem can be shaped by things such as:
- your environment (e.g. you receive constant criticism from your peers)
- how you feel about yourself (e.g. your body image)
- your expectations of yourself (e.g. you downplay your successes and focus on faults and failures)
- your experiences (e.g. you struggle with a difficult life event or family relationships)
I’m feeling low — what can I do?
It’s important to know that self-esteem can change for the better. It can grow through things such as achieved goals, finished projects and other feelings of competence and personal pride. When it’s strong, self-esteem can help you get through a challenging time. To help your self-esteem, you can:
- remember that you are more than your appearance
- identify your strengths/abilities and build on them
- take care of yourself by getting enough sleep, eating right and staying active
- counter any self-critical thoughts with positive thoughts
- set realistic goals and plan an approach to stick with it until you succeed
- be generous with others by volunteering
- build a support system of people including family and friends
More info on emotional well-being:List with 10 articles link
Healthy relationships vs. unhealthy relationshipsTotal views 183867 times
30 inspirational quotes to lift you upTotal views 138236 times
What is sexual assault?Total views 107046 times
Age gap: Things to know about dating someone olderTotal views 101951 times
Arguing with a friend? Here’s how to fight fair.Total views 96344 times
LGBTQ2S+: What does it mean?Total views 75180 times
Family abuse: What it is and how to identify itTotal views 74379 times
Letters of support from kids like you during COVID-19Total views 71742 times